Friday, August 12, 2011

Cherry Tarragon Sorbet

Print
Article first published as Cherry Tarragon Sorbet on Blogcritics.
This time of year, cherries are the fruit to get a hold of! I will admit making something with cherries is a challenge for me, considering that I love eating cherries as is. I had to make sure to not to dig into the cherries I bought specifically to make this refreshing Cherry Tarragon Sorbet. When my friend Louise first introduced me to a cherry, tarragon, and carob sorbet she made, I was intrigued. That's when I set out to make a similar sorbet. The results were fantastic and it's a delicious way to combine fresh fruit and herbs into a summer treat...

This sorbet only calls for 5 ingredients. I used fresh cherries for this sorbet and loved the result. Sweet, yet tart and with a slight hint of tarragon. The tarragon gave it a nice herbal touch without being too strong. I was quite surprised how well the tarragon complimented the cherries. The other key ingredient was ground ginger. It added a little depth and balanced the tartness a bit. Who knew fresh herbs and fruit would work so well as a sorbet? I especially liked how this was a perfect palate cleanser after a meal!

Cherry Tarragon Sorbet
recipe from New York Times

1/2 cup sugar
4 cups pitted fresh or frozen cherries
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon leaves
2 tablespoons lemon juice

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and 13/4 cups water. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Pass the cherries through a food mill or puree in a food processor and then pass them through a fine-mesh sieve. Discard the solids and place the juice in a large bowl. (You should have about 2 cups.) Whisk in the ginger, tarragon, lemon juice and sugar-water mixture.

Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

3 comments:

Maris (In Good taste) said...

Looks so refreshing! Cherries are so delicious right now too!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

wow... tarragon...hmmmmm

Would never have considered that.

Love the idea of this. So many ice cream and sorbet recipes being posted... must have been warm last week :)

Dave

Megg said...

Looks great! I love herbs and spices in iced desserts -- I'll add this to my list!

Subscribe to Feeds
Follow Me on Twitter
Add in Facebook