Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Print
When it comes to summer drinks, a favorite at our house is root beer. There's something about root beer that really makes summer even more fun. Maybe it's the nostalgia or even the fact it's awesome poured over a mug of vanilla ice cream. But aside from it's obvious sweetness, root beer does well in savory applications too. For example, in these Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches, it's sweetness lends itself well with a homemade bbq sauce and tender, slow cooked pork. You'll be surprised how versatile root beer is after having one of these sandwiches!

When I saw root beer was on sale at the store, I immediately thought of making some root beer floats for a nice summer treat. But you can only have so many root beer floats. With a few cans to spare, I used one can for this recipe. It's also a recipe that's perfect for summer because it won't heat up your kitchen since all the magic happens in a slow cooker! So grab some root beer, pour some over a few scoops of ice cream, add a can to a slow cooker with some pork and enjoy a lazy summer with a no fuss meal...

Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches
recipe adapted from AllRecipes

1 (2 pound) pork butt or pork shoulder
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle root beer
BBQ sauce (recipe follows)
8 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted


Place the pork in a slow cooker; pour the root beer over the meat. Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, roughly 6 to 7 hours. Note: the actual length of time may vary according to individual slow cooker. Remove the pork from the slow cooker and transfer into a large bowl. Discard the remaining liquid in the slow cooker. 

Add the barbecue sauce to the pork and toss to coat. Fill the hamburger buns with the pork and serve.


BBQ sauce:
1 teaspoon paprika
1/3 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons light molasses
2 tablespoons grated onion
2 tablespoons Worcestershire suace
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Whisk ingredients in bowl; set aside until ready to toss with pork.

17 comments:

RachelSmiles said...

looks delicious! I might have to put my slow cooker to use this summer :)

The Café Sucré Farine said...

Now this looks amazing, what a great summer dish that could be made ahead! And I love the fact that it won't heat the house up! Thanks, Chris

JohnWS said...

This looks so tasty, im glad the recipe is so simple.
what kind of rootbeer have people using? I can get A&W, but here in the UK, my favorite kind is an australian import called Bundaburg rootbeer. very smooth with hints of vanilla and liquorice

sweethomeamy.com said...

Omg these look so good! And so easy, I am going to make these very soon!! :)

Tiffany said...

Oh yes, you just reminded me about root beer floats, I loved those as a kid! We made a great beer pulled pork roast recently, but I never would have thought to use root beer, I want to try this!

JDuB said...

Why would you "discard the remaining liquid in the slow cooker?" Put the liquid in a bowl and refrigerate, pull the fat off of it and add the liquid to the BBQ Sauce, or as is, into the sauce.

Joelen said...

JDuB - thank you for your comment & suggestion! I found that the remaining liquid in the slow cooker to be too fatty. I had the same thought process as you where I did in fact reserve the liquid to try & add it to the sauce. However the liquid was too greasy and after chilling & skimming off the fat, it left very little to mix in anyway. But if you use a more leaner piece of pork, you may have more liquid that would add additional flavor.

Anonymous said...

what do you do if you don't have a slow cooker?

Joelen said...

Anonymous - To prepare without a slow cooker, you can put everything in a ovenproof pot (Dutch oven), cover & bake in a 325 oven for 1 1/2 -2 hours.

Anonymous said...

Had this today. SO good! My 10 yr old daughter mixed the sauce. She was not happy about making sauce since we had some store bought sauce in the fridge! LOL Well, she did a taste test before we poured the homemade sauce on and your sauce was MUCH better!! We all enjoyed these sandwiches and will be a new addition to our menu! THX, Texas Mom

Joelen Tan said...

Texas Mom - I love when kids are in the kitchen helping out! Glad to hear it's a keeper :)

Anonymous said...

In the recipe for your sauce, you have 1 tsp lught brown sugar listed towards the top and then 1 Tbsp light brown sugar listed towards the bottom. I'm guessing this is a mistake? If so, which is correct and should the other one be some other ingredient?

Joelen Tan said...

Anonymous - looks like I was brown sugar happy when I was writing this up! I've updated it and it should only be 1 tablespoon light brown sugar. Thanks for asking & allowing me to correct it!

Alllison said...

I made this tonight! Delicious! It was so so easy and so so yum! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I made this today, and we thought it was very good! I will be making it again. Thank you so much!

Tamara said...

This is cooking in my oven right now and I just sampled a tiny piece dipped in the sauce! It is heavenly! I added a tiny bit of hot sauce & maple syrup to the sauce which was amazing! Another great recipe! Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

I don't like root beer. Does the pulled pork taste like root beer?

Subscribe to Feeds
Follow Me on Twitter
Add in Facebook