Friday, January 11, 2008

Gnocchi: Pillows of Love

Print
With quite a few russet potatoes on hand, I decided to make gnocchi tonight for dinner. Gnocchi is a Italian dumpling made from potatoes. Inspired by Michael Chiarello's recipe for potato gnocchi, here is my recipe for the gnocchi I made.Here's my recipe for 4 cheese gnocchi which I served with marinara sauce, fresh basil and sweet italian chicken sausage:

4 large russet potatoes, diced
water for boiling
1 cup four cheese blend - parmesan, asiago, provolone, romano
salt & pepper to taste
3 egg yolks
1 cup all purpose flour

In a large pot, add diced potatoes and cover with water.
Boil the potatoes in water over medium high heat until soft.
Drain potatoes and place in bowl.
Add egg yolks, cheese blend, salt & pepper.
With a masher or electric beaters, mash potatoes until smooth.
Add 1/2 cup of flour and fold in slowly.
Add remaining 1/2 cup of flour.
Check the texture of the dough and if it holds together, it's ready to roll.
Roll balls of dough into "snakes" about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut dough in about 1/2 inch lengths.
Roll each piece over the tines of a fork for ridges.
In a boiling pot of water, drop potato gnocchi to cook.
Once the gnocchi floats, remove and place on a cooling rack over a baking sheet.
This allows any moisture to evaporate and cools the gnocchi quickly.
Once cooled, you can freeze it for future use, or add your choice of sauce and heat.

7 comments:

chelley325 said...

These look wonderful! I have homemade gnocchi on my list of things to attempt, but for some reason I'm intimidated by them! Your recipe looks so easy though, so I think I'll move them up on the list :)

simonealisa said...

looks delish, and pretty easy... where/how do you add cheese mixture?

Kate said...

gnocchi is my favorite ever and this one looks fabulous

MrsPresley said...

i love gnocchi! it is on my list of things to make from scratch...

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm 4 cheese gnocchi. Looks delicious!

wifeplzak said...

I <3 gnocchi and can't wait to try this one. Thanks for making it look so simple!

Patty said...

This is on my list to try this week! It looks so simple, I just can't wait!

Subscribe to Feeds
Follow Me on Twitter
Add in Facebook